It makes no difference to me how good a player you are. What interests me is how good a player you want to be.
During my playing career I was lucky enough to play with some of the best golfers in the world. The biggest thing that struck me was how simple they made the game look both in the way they swing the club and in their overall approach to the game. These images have stayed with me throughout my time as a coach.
With the endless amount of information around nowadays the biggest mistake I see amongst golfers is a tendency to over complicate a game that when played at the highest level is more simple than most people would have us believe.
My job as a teacher is to demystify the game for my pupil. My aim is to help them understand where they are going wrong and give them a clear and simple plan towards achieving their goals.
It is my belief that each golfer has strengths and weaknesses no matter what level they play. My plan is always to first attack the weakness while being careful to maintain the golfers strengths. I take a holistic approach to lessons taking into account the effect of the mental game and physical conditioning on a players performance.
Over the years I have worked with every level of player from complete beginners to stars on the european tour. It makes no difference to me how good a golfer you are. What interests me is how good a player you want to be.
- Represented Scotland and GB at boys, youth & senior level
- British Boys Captain (1982)
- Won West of Scotland Open (1986)
- Won Scottish Amateur (1986)
- Won Scottish Assistants (1989)
- Won Scottish U-25s (1989)
- Won British Assistants (1989)
- Won Northern Open (1990 – Challenge Tour)
- Won Barnham Open (1990 – Challenge Tour)
- Runner Up Audi Open (1990 – Challenge Tour)
- Played in British Open (1992)
- Played European Tour (1994)
- Won over 50 pro ams on Tartan Tour
- Started teaching in 1996 at Port Royal Golf Range near Edinburgh
- Moved to Braid Hills Golf Centre in 1998
- Currently head of instruction at Braid Hills Golf Centre
- Scottish Golf Union academy coach
- Qualified NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) practitioner
- Qualified Mind Factor coach
Clients Past and Present
- Jamie McLeary (2009 Scottish Challenge Winner)
- Paul O’Hara (2010 EPD Tour Winner)
- Brian Soutar (Scottish International, South African Amateur, Leven Gold Medal)
- Danny Kay (Scottish International, Runner Up Scottish Amateur)
- Lloyd Saltman (Scottish International, Walker Cup 2005, 2007, Lytham Trophy, Brabazon Trophy, Irish Amateur, St Andrews Links, Craigmillar Park Open, Open Silver Medal, Amateur World No1)
- Julie Yang (English, Welsh and Danish Strokeplay Champion)
- Rachel Livingstone (Scottish International)
- Simon Fairbairn (U18 International)
- Anthoney Blaney (U18 International)
- Craig Howie (U18 International, Scottish Boys Champion)
- Paul Ferrier (U18 International, Scottish Boys Champion)
- James Ross (U18 International)
- Neil Henderson (U 18 International )
- Zack Saltman (U18 International)
- Lloyd Saltman (U18 International, Scottish Boys Strokeplay Champion, U18 British International)
- Clara Young (U18 International, U16 British International)